Cocido

Gtowing up in the province, I thought it was usual that there will always be 3 viands on the dinner table: fried fish, vegetable cooked in coconut; and fish soup. It was simple, but we would always have those three present every time.

It was only when I went to college that I realized that normal people do not eat as we did. I would wait for the 2nd and 3rd dish to be served only to realize that there was only 1 viand be had.

I grew up with this dish, a simple fish soup, made fresh every time.

To cook:

Take the bony parts of the fish, usually the head and the tail part. 

Place fish parts on a pot, top with garlic, onion, tomatoes and sliced ginger (to remove the fishy taste).

Add water and place on stove. Let boil.

Season with salt and add the vegetable of the day (may be any kind of leafy vegetable, or eggplant or whatever is available) and let boil to cook the veggies.

Turn off stove.

Add kalamansi juice and let stand for a few minutes before serving.

Comments